Concurso de dos vacantes académicas para Ingeniería Civil Telemática
This call is aimed at filling 2 (two) full-time faculty positions for the Department of Electronic Engineering at UTFSM in the field of Telematics (Code 18-01-34).
The successful candidate is expected to be a competent and highly motivated academic who will contribute to teaching in undergraduate and graduate (Master and Doctorate) programs, to do research, and to participate in innovation activities. The willingness of the candidate to perform theoretical and experimental teaching and experience in projects of multidisciplinary basic and applied research is particularly encouraged.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate is expected to contribute to teaching in undergraduate and graduate (Master and Doctorate) programs and to exhibit research and innovation capabilities. A performance agreement will be established for an interim period of two years, establishing teaching and research goals to be achieved in that time frame. If necessary, the interim agreement will also provide a Spanish language training program, to achieve language proficiency for teaching purposes. Fulfilling the agreement goals will enable the candidate to participate on a tenure track.
Candidates with specialization in one of the following areas are highly desirable: wireless networks applications (layers ISO/OSI 3-7), analysis of Telecommunications network performance, administration of networks and services, security of information; however, other Information Technology and Telecommunications occupational areas will also be considered.
Benefits: USM offers an attractive starting salary, between 47,000 and 61,000 USD per year, depending on initial academic evaluation. Additional benefits include free lunch, supplemental health insurance and incentives for publications in ISI indexed journals. Additional economic incentives are possible if the candidate has been granted a research project funded by the national scientific research agency Conicyt.
Desired skills and experience
Candidates may be Chilean or foreign nationals, in possession of a doctoral degree. They must also meet the following additional requirements:
- The trajectory and expertise of the candidate must be consistent with the teaching and research duties in the fields advertised.
- To have teaching abilities and to be willing to teach at the undergraduate level (theoretical and experimental).
- To be willing to participate in training programs aimed at the use of modern educational methodologies and also in the planning of the engineering education curriculum.
- Exhibit demonstrable results in the creation of knowledge, through publications in ISI indexed journals, international conferences or patents.
- Writing and speaking proficiency in English, and basic Spanish. Applicants not fluent in Spanish should show a willingness to acquire within two-year sufficient proficiency to be able to teach and interact with students.
Documentation that must be included in the application
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Formulation of a personal proposal for academic development in research and teaching.
- Undergraduate and graduate grade transcripts.
- Certificates of diplomas and degrees.
- Contact information (postal and email) of two senior academics who are willing to provide academic and personal references. One of the referees should be the Ph.D. thesis advisor. These references will be requested directly by the Head of the Department of Electronic Engineering, USM.
The Department of Electronic Engineering will select candidates for a shortlist of each available position, who will be interviewed by a Selection Committee. All those in the shortlists should present a public lecture on a topic chosen in the agreement between the applicant and the Department (via video-conference if a visit to UTFSM cannot be arranged). The Selection Committee will then rank these candidates, for the University authority to make the final decision.
Submission of Applications and Important Dates
Application Deadline: June 30th, 2018
Preliminary Selection (shortlist) will be informed by: July 15th, 2018
The selected candidate could fill the position starting as soon as possible, according to his availability, preferently before January 1st, 2019.
About the employer
Universidad Técnica Federico Santa Maria (USM) was the first Latin American university to offer a doctoral program in Engineering (since 1962) and has a strong emphasis on research and on scientific as well as technological higher education. It is currently ranked top in Latin America in terms of citations at the Latin American Times Higher Education (THE) ranking. In fact, according to THE, USM has consistently ranked among the top three engineering schools of the country, achieving first place nationally in years 2014, 2015, 2016, second place in Latin America in 2014, 3rd in Latin America in 2015 and 2016. Also, USM has been number 1 in Latin America in research impact factor by SIR Iberoamerica, Scimago ranking in several opportunities.
The Electronic Engineering Department of USM is located at the Main Campus of the Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, in Valparaíso, Chile. Valparaiso is a major city, seaport and university center as well as an important touristic attraction, being declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Chile's cultural capital. According to the United Nations Development Programme, Chile is one of South America's most stable and prosperous nations, leading Latin American nations in human development, competitiveness, income per capita, globalization and economic freedom. Since July 2013, Chile is considered by the World Bank as a "high-income economy", and hence as a developed country.
Activities of the Department of Electronic Engineering are described at the websites: www.elo.utfsm.cl www.telematica.utfsm.cl. General information on the University and on the city of Valparaiso and surroundings can be found in http://www.oai.utfsm.cl/en/usm. Further questions are welcome and can be formulated to: email@example.com.